- Emergency services
- Health and social workers
- Special schools and colleges for the disabled
- Coastguards and lifeboat crews
Obviously. Got to get those fires extinguished, and all that postponed cancer surgery done.
- Armed forces
- Prison staff
Can’t have the country descend into anarchy.
- Refuse collection and industrial waste
- Funeral services
- Water, sewerage and drainage
- Essential workers at nuclear sites
It would be unsafe and unhygienic not to.
- Food industry
- Agriculture, veterinary and animal welfare
People gotta eat before they starve; crops gotta be harvested before they spoil.
- Fuel and energy suppliers
- Postal, media, telecommunications
- Central and local government workers
- Essential financial services staff including those involved in the delivery of cash and cheques
- Public transport
Well, I suppose there’s an economy needs getting back up to speed.
- Essential foreign diplomatic workers
Uh, well, alright, I suppose they are “essential”.
- Airport and airline workers
- Licensed taxis
“Essential services” for definitions of “essential” that include “saving a politician from having to get on a bus.” Sounds like another call for the Old Ladies’ from the Job Justification Hearings.